Me Thinks #MeToo
I was born as a male of the species, a fact which comes with certain advantages
like not having to menstruate every month or to pay the price of pregnancy for
a moment of sexual indiscretion. It also means that I am born into some
privileges like more social power (as yet) and better physical strength
(generally, though there are exceptions).
Sexual harassment is a subject that has intrigued and distressed me in
equal measures and that I have discussed, deliberated on and involved myself
with since much before #MeToo. And yet I begin with a handicap while talking
about it or about gender issues in general.
It is not easy for me to talk about my opinions on the subject without encountering
a said or unsaid response of ‘Aha! That’s a man speaking’ which keeps hanging
on every word I have to say like a thick cloud of suspicion (even
disqualification). I must, therefore, cover my opinions with a shroud of
sweetness, sensitivity and platitudes so as not to invite an immediate backlash
questioning my morality, decency and attitudes (patriarchal).
And even then, just to be extra cautious, I must first present my
credentials to be honorable and impeccable. Stating verifiable facts help. For
instance, my wife happens to be equally qualified as I am, earns more than I
do, is the main breadwinner of the family, spends more time outside the house
while I am at home. That most (not all) gender roles are reversed or are
rendered irrelevant in our home. That I have only one child and that is an eighteen-year-old
daughter who is fiercely independent and a free thinker, much to our discomfort
at times, as parents. That I have never knowingly indulged in any kind of
sexual harassment, nor I have been accused of it. That throughout my childhood
and even later I have seen my mother stand up for any and every abused woman in
family or neighborhood, often with the tacit support of my father. That I have
always fought for equality for the girl child in my house and outside, though
with varying degrees of success.
I hope this makes me decent and qualified enough to share my opinions on
sexual harassment in spite of my inherently questionable position as the male
of the species.
So here it goes:
Firstly, sex is one
of the most powerful forces which is at the core of procreation and
continuation of species. Controlling this force gives one access to tremendous
power. That is what patriarchy is all about, and its main object and instrument
is the control of female sexuality.
Sexual harassment,
therefore, is less about sex and more about power. If most women I know have been
sexually harassed then, by extension most men I know have been sexual predators
at some point in time. Also, there is a high chance that while a woman is being
harassed, her own father, brother, son or husband is harassing some other woman
somewhere else.
The seeds of sexual
harassment are often sown within our homes. A predator outside the house might
also be an abuser inside the house. So, when my wife stands up to my abusive
ways and my mother curbs her down, who has encouraged a monster? It is ironical
that patriarchy as an attitude by itself is gender neutral and it infects men
and women alike. It might also be so that we must try and win the battle
against sexual harassment at home first before the war can be won in society at
large.
Secondly, when we
ask for protection, we are also acknowledging we are weak. If we ask someone to
protect us, we also give him the power to decide what is good and safe for us.
Freedom is the price of protection. Freedom is the price of not taking
responsibility for our own protection.
So, women have
something to consider before they start demanding protection. The moment you
seek protection from state or society (or even your dad), they start dictating
the length of your skirt, where you can go with whom, what time should you be
back home, etc. It is a good idea to take responsibility for your own safety.
Learn self-defence, use pepper sprays, form your own safety groups, and fight!
Last but not the least, societies are often defined by the choices
people make and the actions they take. The story that gets told, every once in
a while, for instance, is how many aspiring and ambitious women were victimized
by some Hollywood bigshot before they became cine goddesses. The story that
needs to be told, and seldom gets told, is how many women walked away from him
with their heads held high, choosing rather to pay the price than to succumb.
Highlighting harassment and victimhood,
howsoever well meaning, only reinforces the patriarchy. Sharing stories of self-empowered
women who stood for themselves and of men who stood with them can play far
better role in breaking down the edifice of patriarchy. While it is important
for men to introspect and show remorse, it is equally important for women to
acknowledge a positive male archetype.
In the end, sexual harassment is real and
rampant. But reducing it to a man-woman or a predator-prey binary will only
strengthen the very patriarchy which causes it in the first place. It is a
battle which needs to be fought by men and women together at every stage of
social engagement.

Comments
Post a Comment